OP - Viaggiare nell’Oglio Po
it
en
   |    Local action group Oglio Po water lands
cerca

Borgo di Castelponzone

Built to form an important bulwark in the Sforza defences near the Po, the village of Castelponzone - today one of the most beautiful villages in Italy - was granted in feud in 1416 to the Ponzone family, to remove the castle from the expansionist aims of the Gonzagas. A fortified centre, but later devoid of fortifications, acquiring a Renaissance flavour, Castelponzone has ordered its façades and restored the original cobblestone paving in the "strettini", the narrow lanes which cross it. The arcades of the central street date from the late sixteenth century: beneath them opened taverns, shops and craft workshops. source: www.borghitalia.it