OP - Viaggiare nell’Oglio Po
it
en
   |    Local action group Oglio Po water lands
cerca

The Synagogue of Rivarolo Mantovano

This place of prayer, now abandoned but still in good condition, is located in the Piazza Giuseppe Finzi. The first synagogue we know of was built here in the sixteenth century by the Levi family. During the eighteenth century, Finzi built a large and richly decorated temple inside a private building, part of a complex of inter-linked residences. In 1903, the synagogue buildings were sold on to to the “Society of Mutual Aid amongst the workers of Rivarolo.” Although remodelled in the twentieth century, the temple preserves its original structure, with a women’s gallery, eighteenth-century stucco works, and large windows to lighten the interiors.